I live in a little town in the West Midlands, and although there isn’t much to do our town at Christmas, we’re just a tram ride away from Birmingham. I thought I would share some of the things happening in Birmingham over the festive period in case you have some spare time to fill over the holidays…
First up, we have something I’ve always wanted to do… ice skating in winter. Ice Skate, Birmingham is a temporary outdoor ice rink set up for Christmas time. Pop your skates on and enjoy the ice skating session, then grab something to eat and drink or maybe have a ride on the big wheel. This year the rink has a roof so even in inclement weather will still be open.
German Christmas Market
I’m pretty sure most of us who live in or around Birmingham have visited the German Christmas market at some point, and although much busier than it used to be, it’s still a really lovely place to visit if you go when it’s a little quieter (if you can, avoid weekends and also weekdays at lunchtime and between 5-7pm). Get a bratwurst, have some crepes and a hot chocolate or German beer, then browse the many stores selling crafts and gifts. There’s also a super pretty carousel you can ride.
- How much? Free entry
- Where? Victoria Street and New Street, Birmingham City Centre
- When? Open now until Christmas Eve, every day 10am – 9pm
- Website: Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market
Christmas Lights Trail at the Botanical Gardens
If you want to go somewhere pretty and whimsical, then the Christmas Lights Trail at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens is where you want to go. After the gardens close for the day, they light up the trail and you can walk through glittering trees and a twinkling tunnel. They have mulled wine and other treats on offer, and you can take along your own marshmallows to toast. They also have a carousel to ride.
- How much? Adults, from £16 / Kids, from £8
- Where? Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Westbourne Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 3TR
- When? Now until 30th December 2017, 4pm – 10pm (closed Christmas Day)
- Website: Christmas Lights Trail at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens
Digbeth Après Ski Party
Finally, if you’re a partygoer looking for a night out, then check out the Digbeth après ski party. It’s only being held on a few weekends leading up to Christmas, and it’s a ski themed party in a fully heated marquee ‘ski lodge’. On offer there will be live music, European beers, festive cocktails and alpine themed street food. There’s also a best dressed competition for those dressed in skiing gear, and if you need to pick up something to wear, there will be a vintage ski wear shop there too. It all sounds a bit cheesy, but also quite fun?!
- How much? From £12.50 per adult, with reserved seat (over 18s only; food/drink not included)
- Where? The Old Crown, 188 High Street, Birmingham, B12 0LD
- When? Tickets are still available on 15th, 22nd & 23rd December 2017, 5pm – 11pm
- Website: Digbeth après ski party